Sunday, February 17, 2008

A few random thoughts

Lately I and my family have run a hard course between illness and economic hardship, and things have been getting to me in a lot of different areas, so I've not been nearly as active on the 'net as is my wont. That being said, I figured I'd write about a few of the things I'm working on, both here and for Youtube.

Several people have stated that the United States has one of the freest markets in the world. This is not strictly untrue, but it's still a far cry from the anarchocapitalist's vision of Laissez Faire markets. I'm writing an article and making a video exploring this theme, with a specific emphasis on the corporation itself, and health care as relates to HMO's and socialized and "privatized" schemes vs. a true free market approach. Yes, HMO's are a good idea in theory, but the government regulated corporate versions thereof have been dismal failures. I'll try to illustrate why, and offer a free market alternative.

I've also been asked by a number of people, most recently Alex Strekal (Brainpolice2 on Youtube, and his website is www.liberty-space.com) what originally motivated me to style myself an anarchist. That's a simple question with a number of complex and convulted thought proceses behind it, and I'm not certain I can cover it in a ten minute video, so I'll also post a more expanded version here, as I get time.

My primary goal as an anarchocapitalist is to establish independent Seasteads both as a means of personal liberty and to demonstrate two principles: That free markets work and can work very well in the absence of governmental meddling, and the beauty of dynamic geography. For more preliminary information, see www.seastead.org, particularly the section on dynamic geography http://patrifriedman.com/projects/socs/commented/drawer/dynamic_geography.html

I've been trying to write three books over the course of the last four years, and I'm picking that back up as well. One of them, The Minimum Wage Survival Guide, is almost in it's final form and should be available as an e-book within six months. The other two? Well, one of them I'm not certain I'm ever going to publish, but it explores the idea of a new religion based on rationality and a love of life. The other is titled the same as this website. Anarchy is not Chaos. I've rewritten the bastard about a hundred times now, and I have to concede that it will never be perfect. But I should have it done by the end of the year if things go reasonably well.

Unfortunately, all of these endeavors take a lot of time, and given my current dire financial situation and the age of my son (he's a bit over a year old), I may not have time for all of this and the timelines above are strictly fungible. Rest assured, short of death, I'm not going to stop spouting on about the virtues of liberty.

Kevin Karl Biomech

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, the more the marrier (Incorrect spelling)

(Matthew Lee)

MatthewLee said...

I'm not sure if you could call rationality and "love of life" a religion, more a philosophy than anything else. Or belief system.

Kevin K. Biomech said...

There are elements of religion, such as a framework by which you live your life, focused association with like minded individuals, and structured societies that are useful to free humans. It's worth exploring. Not all religions are theistic. I'll post more on it in the future.